About Us

School

About Portage Path CLC
Principal: Kimberly Summers
Assistant Principal: Daniel Casalinuovo
Interim Dean of Students: Patricia Riggs

History of Portage Path

The original Portage Path Elementary School building was constructed in 1908. The school’s origins can be traced back to the “Portage Path,” the path used by Native Americans who journeyed from Lake Erie to the Ohio River, using the Cuyahoga and Tuscarawas Rivers of Summit County as a link. These two rivers were separated by a distance of only eight miles and were connected by the "Portage Path."  It followed the present Portage Path road south to Copley Road, through Perkins Woods, dropped near Manchester Road, and then ended at a landing near Long Lake. By 1850, a small stone building known as the Chestnut Grove School served as the first school in this district. By the early 1900s, the growth of the city and continued westward expansion led to the building of a new school, eventually known as the “Portage Path” school, which took its name from the famous Indian trail of so long ago.



Our school:

  • Portage Path Community Learning Center teachers average 16 years of experience.
  • 62% hold a master's degree or higher. 
  • Portage Path offers ongoing electronic testing in math and reading, a co-teaching model of instruction and an inclusion model

Our programs:

  • Akron After School
  • LeBron's Hard Work Homework Club
  • Reading and Math Nights 
  • An active PTA and parent liaison program
  • Project THRIVE attendance and truancy reduction program

Community partners:

  • West Akron Kiwanis Club, who support AkronReads, flower plantings, and lunchtime activities
  • A video conferencing partnership with Akron Children's Hospital and Kent State University
  • Malcom Pirnie Inc., an OhioReads partner
  • Students and researchers from Kent State University and The University of Akron
  • Akron Hope
  • United Way

History of Portage Path CLC

The original Portage Path Elementary School building was constructed in 1908. The school’s origins can be traced back to the “Portage Path,” the path used by Native Americans who journeyed from Lake Erie to the Ohio River, using the Cuyahoga and Tuscarawas Rivers of Summit County as a link. These two rivers were separated by a distance of only eight miles and were connected by the "Portage Path." It followed the present Portage Path road south to Copley Road, through Perkins Woods, dropped near Manchester Road and then ended at a landing near Long Lake. By 1850, a small stone building known as the Chestnut Grove School served as the first school in this district. By the early 1900s, the growth of the city and continued westward expansion led to the building of a new school, eventually known as the “Portage Path” school, which took its name from the famous Indian trail of so long ago.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2019 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.